Friday, January 14, 2011

Learning to Flee

It’s good to see when you’re maturing spiritually.  And I’ve noticed that I’m more likely to flee from sin than I was before, not that I was so eager to do wrong.  But I do know that I’m abiding in the Word more, and that my walk is being affected.  I’m becoming more sensitive to sin, and as a result take more measures to avoid situations where I know I’m likely to fall into it.

The Bible is very clear in telling us to flee, or run, from sin (the love of money, false doctrine, sexual immorality, idolatry, and generally speaking, evil desires [1 Cor. 6:18; 10:14; 1 Tim. 6:3-11; 2 Tim 2:22]).  Don’t walk, swagger, or waddle, but RUN!  Christ spoke of the seriousness of the consequences that result from not running from Satan’s temptations, saying, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy…” (John 10:10).

But we can be encouraged knowing that we aren’t only to flee from potential danger, but to flee to assured safety in God’s word.  We’re told to ‘pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart’ (2 Tim. 2:22).  Look at that! We have company in this walk too!  And in John 10:10 Christ tells of the desires of the Accuser, but continues, “…I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full”. 

God is denying us nothing but death, theft and destruction.  He is allowing us the opportunity to have LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment