Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Be Anxious for Nothing

If this post isn’t for me, I don’t know who it’s for.  I’ve been obsessing (slightly) over the success of this blog (that I started less than THREE weeks ago.  I know! Crazy.).  It’s just that I’m so excited about it, and I want to see it succeed.  I can attempt to justify my attitude towards this endeavor as an earnest wishing all I want, but the Bible tells me to approach this situation -and those like it- differently.  Anxiety has no place in a Christian’s life, whether they’re uneasy and brooding, or ardently waiting.  It’s not fitting for those who call themselves spiritual siblings of the Prince of Peace.  So, based on his example, I’m trying to get some of that faith that results in peace like Jesus had when he was fast asleep in the midst of a storm.  No. Correction.  A furious squall (Mk. 4:35-41)!  We are not to be anxious for anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present we are to present our requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus (Php. 4:6-7; Matt. 21:22).
In the Parable of the Growing Seed (Mk. 4:26-29) the NIV note points out that, ‘whereas the parable of the sower stresses the importance of proper soil for the growth of seed and the success of the harvest, here the mysterious power of the seed itself is emphasized. The gospel message contains its own power’!  It’s God’s word that guarantees success, not my own ability.
Deep down I do know that what God has for us, is for us, whether it’s manifested today, or years from now (Ecc. 3:1-8; Isa. 55:6-11; 2 Pe. 3:8; Ps. 90:4).  I’m just glad to have this word hidden in my heart to pull up when I get a little uneasy.  But remember, as with any test, you can’t recall what you haven’t studied.  Thank you Lord for a mind-regulating word (2 Co. 10:5)!

No comments:

Post a Comment