Friday, April 8, 2011

Those Who Wait

As much as I like blogging, starting next week I’ll post only once per week, as I have other priorities that require more of my attention.  But considering I’ve been posting three times a week for about three months, I have quite a few posts in my archive.  So, I’ll encourage readers read them and comment on them still.
There are many benefits to being patient, which is something I’ve been struggling with lately.  My grandmother suggested I write a blog entry on this topic every week.  We have encouragement through scripture in patience, as well as restoration through patience.  And patient people promote peace and enjoy harvest (Pr 15:18; Isa 40:31; Ro 15:4; Jas 5:7-8).
We should be patient because it’s commanded (Mt 22:37-39; 1 Co 13:4; Ro 12:12; 1 Th 5:14).  It shows trust and wisdom (Ps 40:1-4; Pr 19:11).  And God himself demonstrates patience (1 Ti 1:16; Nu 14:18).  Thank you for it Lord!  The hope Christians have is a byproduct of salvation (Ro 8:24-25,NIV note on v. 24).  Although we may experience momentary discouragement, a person who is saved is never hopeless, and doesn’t live a life that is characterized by hopelessness. So patience during suffering must also result.
In Hebrews 6:12, faith, patience, and the inheritance of the promise is juxtaposed with laziness.  Faith and patience are not passive, but active (see also Heb 7; Jas 2:17).  Faith must be proven by action.  Just as the farmer waits for the land to yield its crop, he continues to tend to the land and provide a healthy environment where crops will flourish (Jas 5:7-8).  And see how grumbling and complaining are also counter-productive and not indicative of one who is saved.  Complaining brings about judgment, not a harvest (Jas 5:9).  Bless us Lord!  Patience is also juxtaposed with pride (Ecc 7:8).  Patience says wait on the Lord.  Have wisdom and trust.  Recall past victories.  Surely God has even greater in store!  Pride says, do things your own way.  It ain’t comin’ fast enough.  And don’t you know that God will not reward impatience (Heb 11:6)?   
The things that I believe God want for me require me to be patient and faithful and work as one who is waiting for a promised harvest, not work as one who’s at it all alone.  My promise is in the seed of God’s word, not manmade devices!   

No comments:

Post a Comment