Friday, April 29, 2011

Be Blessed

Okay, right as I’m leaving the house tonight to go to a lab and type this, I’m tested on what the Holy Spirit had revealed should be my topic for this week’s post.  One of my teenage neighbors is leaning on my car -as if it’s his own- and when one of his friends jokingly suggests he show more respect, he gives a pretty nasty response.  I was put off by his actions, but thank God I chose to pray for him (and myself) instead of thinking badly of him or cursing him, even in my mind.  Now, being honest, this is not to say that it couldn’t have gone the other way -because God is still working on me- but I can thank God I can testify that I’m not where I was.  The Holy Spirit held my tongue.  Because of my yielding to God’s word, it was him who handled the situation, not Michael.  Thank you Lord!
The way we choose to respond to the provocation, snares, plots, schemes, etc. of those who oppose us determines whether, or not, we’re blessed:
1.    Jesus tells us, “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.” (Lk 6:27-28; Ro 12:14).  Please keep in mind that this is a command, not a request.  So try to live, so that you can also testify that when you’re cursed, you bless; when you’re persecuted, you endure it; when you’re slandered, you answer kindly. (1 Co 4:12-13)   
2.    Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice, or the Lord will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from him (Pr 24:17-18).  First of all, let me point out that it says, ‘when your enemy falls’, not if (2 Pe 3:9-10; Pr 29:6).  But in these verses what’s suggested is that God will give you the punishment reserved for the sinner if you rejoice in his punishment, as he did with Edom (see Ps 137:7; Eze 35:15).  Those of us who know better are held to a higher standard.
3.    God is omniscient.  He already knows about your enemy and all that he’s doing and saying, whether it’s to your face or behind your back (Ps 147:5; Job 28:24; Heb 4:13).  For those of us who trust in God, in the shelter of his presence he hides us from the intrigues of men; in his dwelling he keeps us safe form accusing tongues (Ps 31:20).  But he wants to hear from us too.  He wants us to share all of our thoughts about what we’re dealing with, the good, the bad, and the ugly (Ps 8:3; 62:8).  He’s God.  He can take it!
4.    Jesus said, “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you” (Mt 5:11-12; Lk 6:22-23).  Things are almost never as they appear to be.  Although it may look like a follower of Christ is cursed, they are indeed blessed.  And it’s not because I say so, but Jesus Christ himself says so!  Notice that it’s the Jesus in a person that guarantees this blessing (see post titled “In Jesus’ Name”).  See to it that when you’re treated poorly that it’s because of Jesus, not because of any wrongdoing on your part. 
…God doesn’t promise any blessing for that.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment