Monday, February 28, 2011

How to Get Promoted

I believe the attitude we have toward work determines our productivity, happiness, and whether or not we’ll be promoted.  A woman at my job once groaned, asking me something to the effect of, ‘Do I have to be here?’ when arriving to work one morning, and my answer was, ‘No, there are plenty of people just hoping you decide not to show up for work today.’  Judging by her response, I suppose she was disappointed I didn’t accept the invitation to her complaint session, but I didn’t want any of ‘that’ (negativity) on me.  I was trying to maintain a positive attitude toward work myself.
Whatever our jobs are, we’re to work at it with all of our hearts, as working for the Lord, not men (Col 3:23).  I often consider myself as being employed by God, as opposed to whoever might be signing my check (which isn’t to say I don’t respect them, but I know who my source is).  We’re encouraged to work diligently, coming from the Latin word dlilgere, which means to prize, love, esteem highly (1 Ti 4:15; Heb 6:11; 2 Th 3:6-15).  So in other words, our work is to be done in love, with a desire to please God being our focus.  Our attitudes toward all of our work then (whether it is considered “the Lord’s work”, in a traditional sense, or not) has spiritual implications, and can result in certain rewards (Pr 10:4; 12:24; 13:4; 21:5).
Obvious benefits to working diligently are new opportunities, or promotions.  There are so many people in the Bible who were recognized while working.  Moses was tending his father-in-law’s flock when the Lord called him from a burning bush and commissioned him for a great work (Ex 3).  Ruth was provided with protection and greater profit because of her work (Ruth 2; see also God’s intended purpose for Eve in Ge 2:18, and the description of ‘The Wife of Noble Character’ in Pr 31:10-31).  By the Lord’s direction, Jesse’s youngest boy David had to be pulled from tending the sheep in order to be anointed by Samuel, and would later be crowned king (1 Sam 16:6-13; 2 Sam 5:4; Ps 78:70).  And Jesus called Peter, Andrew, James and John to be his disciples as they were in the act of preparing and casting fishing nets (Mt 4:18-22). And so on.
But seek God’s kingdom and righteousness first, and the things will come later (Mt 6:33).  He must receive his honor first, because it’s the Lord who raises the poor and seats them with princes (Ps 113:7-8; Dan 3:30), who lifts up those who humble themselves before him (Jas 4:10), who honors those who honor him (1 Sam 2:30), who not only gives wealth and possessions, but enables a person to enjoy them, and accept their lot, and be happy with their work (Ecc 5:18-20), and it’s God who enables us to earn the respect of one who works with what they have (1 Th 4:11-12).  There’s dignity in finding work.

No comments:

Post a Comment