Friday, February 18, 2011

Because I Said So

I couldn’t stand the saying when I was a child, and the thought of it kind of irritates me even today, but as an adult I can see the benefit of not being provided with an answer every time I inquired.  It was, no doubt, a form of discipline, and I’ve seen many instances where adults obviously were not disciplined by this seemingly arbitrary response.  And I’m sure you have too.  They’re the ones that don’t last very long on the job, and make everyone miserable for the duration of their time there.  Well, likewise the Lord sees fit to discipline us, as an expression of his love for us.

There’s a word of encouragement that addresses us as children:  Do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as children.  Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his own children.  For what child is not disciplined by his parent(s)?  If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and are not truly his children.  Moreover, we have all had human parents who disciplined us and we respected them for it.  How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!  Our parent(s) disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it (Heb 12:5-11).

How thankful am I for discipline, in love, from my heavenly Father, and my earthly charges: my mother and grandmother.  How much trouble has their discipline kept me out of?  How much has their discipline given me the ability to set out goals and diligently accomplish them?  They did as they thought best, and no it didn’t seem pleasant at the time, but what a harvest their love has produced, and continues to produce.  Thank you Ma.  Thank you Grandmother.  And thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment